2016 Christmas Candlelight Service
Christmastide at Old First Church
The Candlelight Service of Lessons and Carols will be held on Sunday, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. This long-standing Bennington tradition in "Vermont's Colonial Shrine" will feature the singing of the Bennington Children's Chorus; the church organist, Charles Olegar; carol singing by the congregation; scripture readings by members of the congregation and a brief sermon by the Rev. Kenneth A. Clarke. A wheelchair ramp will be provided. The public is warmly invited.
On Saturday, Dec. 24, the First Congregational Church of Old Bennington will offer a candlelight Christmas Eve service at 5 p.m. This family service features familiar carols and readings and special music. The church ends the service by gathering in front of the church with candles singing “Silent Night.” A wheelchair ramp will be provided. The public is warmly invited.
We invite you to worship with us
Sunday, 11:00 a.m. (10:00 a.m. during July and August), for all ages,
• where worship, in perhaps the most beautiful example of post-colonial American church architecture in New England, is designed to remind us all of the faithful presence and grace of God;
• where people sing with joy both the great old hymns of the church and the new ones, too, in order to praise God and encourage each other in our faithful living;
• where we expect preaching to be honest, address the question of what, in these days, it means to believe, and show the Bible to be the generous witness we have had over the centuries to God's self-giving and life-giving love;
• where children have the opportunity to learn to love God, to enjoy worship, to learn the stories of faith from experiencing our worship service, and to be rooted in a loving community for their growth into lives of joy and service;
• where our skilled organist playing our 1965 Wicks pipe organ inspires the congregation to new faithfulness each week;
• where the communion table is open to all who trust Jesus Christ, and where we seek to reflect his grace to all.
Bicentennial Discourse and Sermon
On August 13, 2006, Battle Day Weekend, we had our 200th anniversary of the church building. Read the historical discourse and sermon.